Lent is a time for self-reflection and deepening one’s relationship with God in Jesus Christ. For many this season leading up to Easter will be weeks of giving up something they enjoy as a sign of contrition for mistakes they have made. Others will spend extra time in devotions and prayer, while a few more will carry a cross or nail in their pocket as a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made for them and the whole world.
If those practices work for you, wonderful! Others may want to find different ways of observing this holy season. Consider adopting one or more of the following creative uses of the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.
- Pray for others you see as you walk to and from throughout your day
- Volunteer one hour or more each week with a local shelter, tutoring program, nursing home, prison ministry.
- Participate in a Lent-a-Day-practice and pray each day with your camera in your hand. start praying
- Cultivate a life of gratitude. Write someone a thank you letter each week and be aware of how many people have helped you along life’s journey.
- Create a daily quiet time. (this is something I do, I drive my youngest back and forth to school, and when I pick her up I am at her school an hour to spend time alone with God. Read a daily devotional for the season of lent.
- Give up soft drinks, fast food, tea, or coffee. Give the money you save to help local folks or those in a different part of the world who are in crisis.
- Forgive someone who doesn’t deserve it ( maybe even yourself)
- Go deeper into your study in the Bible, be a part of a study group, and meditate on the words “I Am” sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of John
- Start a prayer rhythm. Each day of Lent, pray for another person.
- Tray and electronic fast, give up tv, face book, tweeting, e-mail and all things electronic for one day each week.
Grace and Peace to You My Friends
2 thoughts on “Growing Closer to Jesus This Season!”
I like the idea of studying I AM, I just did in Christ.
I have a book called Finding I Am by Lysa Terkeurst a great book, you can find them here on my page, in which I did last year