Lent is a time for self-reflection and deepening one’s relationship with God in Jesus Christ. For many this season leading up to Easter will be weeks of giving up something they enjoy as a sign of contrition for mistakes they have made. Others will spend extra time in devotions and prayer, while a few more will carry a cross or nail in their pocket as a reminder of the sacrifice Jesus made for them and the whole world.
If those practices work for you, wonderful! Others may want to find different ways of observing this holy season. Consider adopting one or more of the following creative uses of the days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.
- Pray for others you see as you walk to and from throughout your day
- Volunteer one hour or more each week with a local shelter, tutoring program, nursing home, prison ministry.
- Participate in a Lent-a-Day-practice and pray each day with your camera in your hand. start praying
- Cultivate a life of gratitude. Write someone a thank you letter each week and be aware of how many people have helped you along life’s journey.
- Create a daily quiet time. (this is something I do, I drive my youngest back and forth to school, and when I pick her up I am at her school an hour to spend time alone with God. Read a daily devotional for the season of lent.
- Give up soft drinks, fast food, tea, or coffee. Give the money you save to help local folks or those in a different part of the world who are in crisis.
- Forgive someone who doesn’t deserve it ( maybe even yourself)
- Go deeper into your study in the Bible, be a part of a study group, and meditate on the words “I Am” sayings of Jesus in the Gospel of John
- Start a prayer rhythm. Each day of Lent, pray for another person.
- Tray and electronic fast, give up tv, face book, tweeting, e-mail and all things electronic for one day each week.
Grace and Peace to You My Friends
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your path. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
I always enjoy having a good cup of tea and different ones at that as well. So this morning as I begin to study God’s word I first make a cup of tea for myself, so my friend before you move forward in reading this post, grab a cup of tea, maybe a cup of coffee or whatever you may enjoy drinking in the morning to start your day. My daily devotions today was reading from the book of Proverbs in reference to trusting God each and everyday of our lives. Believe me, that one word trust is not easy for any of us can do alone in our lives. Especially when we have been hurt by someone that we came to trust over time. However as I re-read this story it brought me back to almost too summers ago. As I was in my dinner room on my computer I heard a bang at my picture window in my living room. At first I didn’t get up because you see I feed a stray cat I named Fluffy and I thought it was her banging at my window to get my attention to come into the house. For some reason I decided to get up from my chair and open my front door to my house. There on my deck was a tiny small bird flapping it’s wing, I was not sure what to do as of yet, so I walk over to the tiny bird quietly and I see that it’s tiny leg was caught in the deck and then I pick it up, in my hands. This little bird stay on my left hand for quite sometime, for more than an hour. As I was stroking it’s head all the way to it’s tale I realize that it was closing it’s eyes. What came into my mind was these words from the book of Proverbs: Trust in the Lord with all of my heart. I came to realize if this wild bird was trusting me as I help its tiny leg, I too needed to trust God in my life. When we have been hurt in our lives it is so hard for us to trust even God however I know that is what I need to do, not just today but everyday. When we get hurt by anyone we think we are not worth loving, and our lives doesn’t matter and no one cares. Please let me tell you how much God loves you, plain and simply you are his child
Just think you’re here not by chance, but by God’s choosing. His hand formed you and made you the person you are He compares you to no one else—- you are one of a kind You lack nothing that His grace can’t give you He has allowed you to be here at this time in history to fulfill His special purpose for this generation.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens
Grace and Peace To You My Friends